The Benefits of Bananas
- Bananas help overcome depression due to high levels of tryptophan, which is converted into serotonin - the happy mood brain neurotransmitter
- Eat two bananas before a strenuous workout to pack an energy punch and sustain your blood sugar.
- Potassium protects against muscle cramps during workouts and night time leg cramps by eating a banana.
- Strengthen your blood and relieve anaemia with the added iron from bananas.
- High in potassium and low in salt, bananas are officially recognised by the FDA as being able to lower blood pressure and protect against heart attack and stroke.
Blueberry Banana Bread
300g white whole wheat flour (or mix of whole wheat and all-purpose)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 large egg, beaten
100g light muscovado sugar
2 large very ripe bananas
200g fresh or frozen blueberries (do not thaw)
60g Fat free greek yogurt
180ml Almond milk (or any milk you fancy)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line 12 muffin tins with paper muffin cases.
2. Add the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon together in a large bowl and set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the honey and brown sugar together - it will be thick and lumpy (try to get out as many lumps as you can) Whisk in the mashed banana, yogurt, and beaten egg.
4. Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Gently begin to fold it all together. It will be very thick. Add the milk slowly and continue to gently mix the ingredients together. Gently fold in the blueberries.
5. Divide the batter between 15 muffin cups. Bake muffins for 18-20 minutes OR until very lightly browned on the edges.
Allow muffins to cool and enjoy!
These muffins will remain fresh and moist if kept in an air tight container.
Shop the story