Banana and Apricot Seeded Loaf
- 2 ripe medium bananas
- 2 medium eggs, separated
- 150g low fat natural yogurt
- 75g light brown sugar or honey
- 75g fresh or dried apricots, chopped
- 2 tbsp seed mix
- 125g wholemeal plain or spelt flour or all SR Flour if you haven’t the Wholemeal or spelt
- 125g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon or mixed spice
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 4. Line a 900g loaf tin with baking paper.
- Mash the bananas in a bowl and mix in the egg yolks, yogurt, sugar/honey, fresh or dried apricots and half the seeds. Sift in the flours, baking powder, spices and a pinch of salt, tipping in any bran left in the sieve. Fold until well mixed.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites to soft peaks, then stir a spoonful into the banana mixture to slacken. Gently fold in the rest of the egg whites.
- Pour the cake batter into the loaf tin and scatter with the rest of the seeds. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Cool in the tin for 15 minutes, then turn out and cool completely on a wire rack.